Thursday, October 1, 2009

What’s the point of Feeding His Sheep?

From our perspective, it didn’t look like the smartest move on Jesus’ part.  After
cross and tomb all, Jesus had just won a great victory.  He had risen from the dead! Death and the grave could not hold him! By his resurrection, he gave life to all who trust in him (1 Cor. 15:20; Jn. 11:25-26). He had given us the victory! (1 Cor. 15:57)

But now he was going to ascend into heaven. He would no longer be with his disciples and believers visibly. He promised to return to take us to be with him forever (1 Thess. 4:13-18; Acts 1:11), but until that time, he decided to leave sinful human beings with the responsibility to carry his Word to others (Acts 1:8).

That’s why he was talking with Peter after breakfast by the Sea of Galilee after he’d appeared to his disciples for the third time after his resurrection (Jn. 21:14). His question was simple, and he repeated it three times: “Do you love me?” (Jn. 21:15-17) Peter was more aware than most of what is true of all of us: he was a sinner.  He had denied even knowing Jesus during Jesus’ hour of need (Matt. 26:69-75).

Peter was hurt that Jesus questioned his love for him three times (Jn. 21:17). But he was also keenly aware that he didn’t deserve to do the job Jejesus-sheepsus asked him to do three times: “Feed my sheep.”

Really, Jesus?  You want sinners, people like Peter, to feed your sheep, to teach your Word to your people?  It doesn’t seem smart. It seems impossible that God would even allow a sinful human being to have such an important role in his kingdom.

I know it doesn’t seem right that I should have that privilege.  Like Peter, I’m a sinner, a sinner worthy of eternal death.  Also like Peter, however, I’ve been forgiven by Christ.  His blood has washed my sins away.  He’s put his name on my in my baptism.  He’s called me into his service to feed his sheep and lambs as a pastor.  I don’t deserve any of it.  I don’t deserve to serve the church I do. These are all gifts of complete grace from my Savior.

So, in my job of feeding Christ’s sheep and lambs, I work in God’s holy Word, the Bible.  It is a joy and privilege to be able to spend so much time in his Word.  That’s why I’m writing this blog. I want an outlet to think through my study of God’s Word. I want feedback that will help me serve the flock entrusted to me. I want to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (2 Pet. 3:18)

So, feel free to leave your thoughts.  I’m not sure the form this blog will take in the days ahead, but I pray God will use it to bless me, my congregation, and anyone who happens by.  What a blessing to be feeding his sheep!

Technorati Tags: ,,
blog comments powered by Disqus